Subscribe Us

The DIY 'human hamster wheel' set to cross the Irish Sea


A man is attempting to walk across the Irish Sea - in a human hamster wheel.
Chris Todd, 35, will zig-zag 66 miles across open water for two days non-stop.
He will power his metal wheel - which he calls a Tredalo - by walking on wire mesh, with two floats either side to act as stabilisers.

The charity stunt will see him burn a huge 36,000 calories - almost three weeks worth - during the endurance feat.
He will consume a whopping 30 litres of water and munch the equivalent of 60 Mars bars to keep energy levels up.
Engineer Chris, from Bromham, Wiltshire, said: 'It will be like running 10 back-to-back marathons.

'The Irish Sea crossing is on the very edge of what I believe is possible.
'But I am looking forward to a cold Guinness on arrival.'
Chris hand-crafted the human hamster wheel in his garden with help from his wife and friends.
The idea came to him while rowing across a lake - and he spent 11 months painstakingly piecing it together.
He originally planned to use it to cross the English Channel, but red-tape and high costs curtailed his bid, forcing him to turn to the Irish Sea.
Chris added: 'I’ve tested it on lakes and in the sea but that has only been for a couple of hours, which is totally different to a couple of days.



'The only way we are going know if it will stand up to the battering from the waves is to actually do it.
'It is going to be one of the toughest things I’ve ever done.
'Imagine spending 48-hours on a stepping machine in the gym without getting any sleep.
'I’m not looking forward to night time in case I end up in the way of a ship and unlike endurance races on land the horizon is going to be bleak and featureless.
'So it will be mentally challenging as well as physically.'
Chris’s long suffering wife Joy has her reservations about his latest hair-raising stunt for charity.

He added: 'It took me 11 months to build because if I  spent any more time tinkering with it I’d be divorced.
'She isn’t over the moon that I am doing it and rejected the idea of accompanying me in the safety boat, but she is very supportive.
'She has become quite used to my endurance feats and I’ve been very thorough with all the risk assessments.'
Chris hopes to raise £20,000 and will split the money between two charities - Royal National Lifeboat Institution and Wiltshire Blind Association.
For more information on the crossing attempt or to donate go to www.irishseacrossing.co.uk





Post a Comment

0 Comments

CLOSE ADS


CLOSE ADS